Exploring Historical Glendale is a documentary series produced by GTV6, the City of Glendale’s government access channel, which explores the City’s many historical people, places and events. This program on the historic Alex Theatre was produced in 2002.

A registered historic landmark, the “Alexander” Theatre began life in 1925 as a neighborhood vaudeville and movie house. It hosted Hollywood previews and screened first-run films until the 1980s, when it closed after several years of decline. In 1992, the Glendale Redevelopment Agency invested .2 million to transform it into a performing arts center and an anchor for their revitalization plans.

Reopening on New Year’s Eve 1993, the Alex today is a vital nexus of entertainment, commerce and civic activity. It is home to five resident companies: Los Angeles Chamber Orchestra, Gay Men’s Chorus of Los Angeles, Glendale Youth Orchestra, Alex Film Society, and Musical Theatre Guild.

The Theatre also hosts many other classical, popular, and culturally/ ethnically focused concerts, and is a venue for community groups, film shoots, civic events, and local business uses.

www.alextheatre.org
216 North Brand Boulevard
Glendale, California 91203
Tel: 818-243-ALEX (2539)
Box Office Fax: 818-243-3622
Production Tel: 818-243-7700

More info on Exploring Historic Glendale – Alex Theatre

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *